Home HIS Niseko Home
HIS Niseko Admissions
Thank you for considering Hokkaido International School as a place for your child's education. HIS Niseko is a unique school providing a distinctive educational opportunity in the Niseko area. For those seeking an international education in English at an accredited institution, HIS Niseko is the place for you. Our tuition and fees are significantly lower than similar schools in the larger cities of Japan, and we offer great opportunities for outdoor learning.
With HIS Sapporo only two hours away, the Sapporo dormitory provides an excellent option for Niseko families whose children graduate from the HIS Niseko School. Students can attend middle school and high school in Sapporo, staying in the dorm through the week and returning home on the weekends. At least one parent of students interested in staying in our dorm must visit the school and meet with administrators and dorm parents.
The forms presented below should also be completed (just click to open and print). For students over third grade, a writing sample is also required, which will be done on campus just prior to the interview.
HIS Niseko Admissions Documents (click to view and print)
Admissions Policy and Process
HIS is a school dedicated to serving the expatriate community of Sapporo and Hokkaido, as well as others pursuing a western-style education. Admission applications are reviewed by an Admissions Committee consisting of one or two members and chaired by the Niseko principal in consultation with the Head of School. This group will also make initial grade-placement decisions.
Priorities in admission are given to the following in order of preference:
• The children of expatriates from English-speaking countries
• The children of expatriates from other countries
• Japanese returnees (a returnee is defined as someone who has completed at least two years of a western-style education overseas)
• The children of Japanese parents who can demonstrate a compelling need for a western-style education
HIS Niseko, as a western-style educational school expects the parents to demonstrate the following:
• Take an active role in the life of the school (i.e. attend and take part in school and PTA activities)
• Be able to communicate with the teachers and staff in English and work with your child at home in your native tongue (i.e. encourage reading; help with homework, etc.)
• While HIS cannot admit students with profound learning difficulties, HIS may be able to accommodate students with mild special needs. Continued enrollment at HIS is always dependent upon a student’s satisfactory achievement, behavior, and effort.
- Complete an HIS Application Form, one per child. Assemble comprehensive school records, including current report cards and those from the previous two years of schooling plus standardized test scores (if applicable). Include medical and inoculation records. Proof of the student’s age must be included. Have the documents translated into English if possible.
- If a student is admitted, parents should arrange for immediate payment of tuition, application and entrance fee.
- Upon payment, students may begin attending classes at HIS.
If you would like to plan a visit to the school or have further questions about applying to HIS Niseko, please email the Niseko Administrator, Barry Mernin at email@example.com
Head of School
HIS Niseko Tuition and Fees
HIS tuition and fees are payable annually or on a quarterly basis. Payment is due on July 31 preceding the school year. Invoices will be mailed in July. For students entering after opening day, payment is due prior to enrollment.
School Fees 2018 - 2019
|Application Fee (one time only)
||¥15,000 (to be paid at interview)
|Entrance Fee (one time only)
|Early Years (half day to 1:00)
||¥174,000 x 4
|Early Years after school care
|Kindergarten (full day)
||¥278,000 x 4
|Grades 1 - 6
||¥278,000 x 4
Seasonal Students (part-time residents of Niseko area)
HIS Niseko offers short term schooling for seasonal residents of Niseko Area.
Seasonal resident Tuition Fee for Kindergarten and Elementary students is available to pay on a monthly basis. Fee is according to the enrolling month. Please contact the admission office for the monthly fee for each month.
Application as a Seasonal Resident requires the same paperwork and process as full time students.