Head of School
Parents, students and community members, it is with a great sense of anticipation that I welcome everyone to the 2017 ~ 2018 academic school year.
We appear to be starting school with likely the biggest student enrollment in the school’s history.
We will also be welcoming two new teachers, Ms. Tanya Dechadomphan in Early Years and Mr. Mariano Alonso in Physical Education. In the dormitory program, we welcome Mrs. Anna Charlebois and in Dorm 2, Mr. Miles Zeorlin.
Please come out to Opening Ceremony. The schedule for the day is as follows:
Opening Ceremony Day - This is perhaps the largest gathering of the entire school community and likely the event that brings out the greatest number of parents. Opening Ceremony schedule is as follows:
Schedule - Opening Ceremony will follow the below schedule:
- 10:00 - Gym Doors Open to Community Members
- 10:30 - Ceremony Begins
- 11:00 - Dismissal of Students to Homerooms
- 11:15 - PTA Meeting Begins
- 12:00 - All Community Lunch (Picnic) in the MPR
** Note that the bus does not operate on Opening Ceremony Day. Thank you for your understanding.
From the Principal’s Office
Dear Parents and Students of HIS.
I’d like to welcome each of you to the 2017-18 school year at HIS. Hope you all had a wonderful summer!
Over the last week and a half, teachers and staff been working hard preparing for opening day and for the excitement of the year ahead. The enthusiasm around the building is energizing as we welcome so many new students, as well as new teachers.
New teachers for 2017-18:
- Ms Tanya Dechodomphan teaches Early Years
- Mr Mariano Alonso teaches K-12 PE
- Mr Alonso and his wife Ms Anna Charlebois are the new dorm parents for Dorm 1
- Mr Miles Zeorlin is the new dorm parent for Dorm 2
Several changes are coming up this year - most notably in secondary (report cards, assessment policy, etc). We encourage parents to attend the orientation sessions to find out more:
- August 22 (Elementary) at 7:00pm
- August 23 (Secondary) at 7:00pm
SAT Exams (October 7th sitting) - Deadline for registration: September 8th
PSAT Exams (October 11th sitting) - PSAT Exams are ordered for this year already based on requests last year. However I am allowed to expand that order if there is need. Please let me know if you would like me to order an exam for you (grades 9 -10) by August 25th. NOTE: ALL grade 11 students are automatically registered for this exam.
Greetings from beautiful Niseko.
HIS Niseko’s Opening Ceremony will begin on August 16th at 10:30. Opening Ceremony will be followed by a picnic lunch so please bring food and drink items to share. We are excited to see some new families, as well as our loyal friends.
Classes will begin the following day, August 17th at 8:30 AM. Regular bus service will begin on August 17th.
We are delighted to welcome our newest students, Seara, Leo, Louie, Oskar, Coco and eventually, William Taiga to our community of learners.
We are thrilled to welcome Susan Otani and Ayumi Wolfe to our staff. Susan Otani will be our part time ELL instructor, while Ayumi will teach Japanese Language Instruction. Welcome Susan and Ayumi!
May I send along my sincerest and best wishes to you. Let's have a great year together.
Teacher Administrator HIS Niseko
Husky Hugs go out
- Principal Cooke - for Preparing the school for it’s WASC Self Study Year and the school’s transition to the new online online administrative system, ALMA.
- Tanya Dechodomphon - who we are also welcoming to HIS as our new EY teacher.
- Mr. Mariano Alonso - who we are welcoming to HIS as the new PE teacher and dorm parent.
- Mrs. Anna Charlebois - who we are welcoming to HIS as the breakfast cook and dorm parent.
- Mr. Takashi Ogawa for the many hours of work put into preparing the school for this school year with repair and cleaning work.
- Miles Zeorlin - who we are welcoming to HIS & Dorm 2.
- Ms. Lola Lai and Ms. Kirin and Mr. Yutaka Sugino for collaborating for Music Education in Niseko.
Extra Curricular Activities
HIS is excited to host a variety of fun after school activities and extracurriculars this year. Please check back for further information on the year-long schedule. Here’s a sneak peek at the Quarter 1 schedule (to start in September):
- Hula Dancing
- Outdoor Fun
- Book Club
- Guitar Club
- ACT Club (8th graders)
- Fitness / Weight Training
- Rock Climbing
- Mind Strategy Games
- Peer Tutoring
- Hiragishi Cultural Exchange
- ACT Club
Please note, all Steering Committee meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month. Any parent is welcome to attend, and please let Neil or Megumi know if you would like to become a regular (and voting) member of the committee.
FIRST MEETING IS SEPTEMBER 6th
AUGUST & SEPTEMBER EVENTS
- August 16 - Opening Ceremony
- August 17 - First Day of Classes
- August 30 - September 1 - Grade 12 Overnight Trip
- August 31 - September 1 - Grade 11 Overnight Trip
- September 4 - School Holiday
- September 7 - 8 - Grade 9 / 10 Overnight Trip
- September 18 - Open House (school day)
- September 19 - Cross Country Day (20th back up)
- September 29 - 30 JV Girls Volleyball Tournament
We are very pleased to welcome new and old students to our Fall Sports Program.
There will be MS, JV and HS Volleyball.
New coach Mikako Hamilton will lead the JV and HS girls and Mr Kelly the MS girls.
Soccer will be led by our new PE teacher and ex `pro player` Mr Alonso. Mr Boyd will continue as an assistant coach.
Watch out for the schedule which will be posted soon regarding practice days and times.
Remember, all students are most welcome to come along and participate.
Go Huskies !
Please see HERE for the Husky Lunch Menu for the week of August 17 - September 25.
Thank you to all the students, teachers and parents who supported this program last year. Please check out the column at left for information on Extracurricular Activities at the Elementary level for Quarter 1 this year!
HIS Parent E-mailing List
Do you ever have trouble receiving the weekly HEx, Husky-Info bulletins or other school-wide emails? Do you have another email address to which you’d like to receive these electronic communications? If so, please email our communications coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update our mailing lists and include you as soon as possible!